Friday, February 12, 2010

Let me know when the librarians stop screaming.

I love books.

I always have and I always will.

When I was a child I would get to pick out a book if I behaved.  Some kids get ice cream or candy.  Me?  I got a book AND a bookmark.  I would be so excited as I stood in front of shelves filled with stories by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume.  It would take me hours trying to pick out the best one. 

That's what I did yesterday.  I went to my favorite used book store.  When I say they have a ton of books, I'm not lying.  The place is jammed packed.  Floor to ceiling.  Basement to Attic. PACKED.

I spent hours there exploring the shelves and giving some love to the resident kitty.   I didn't find anything that sparked my interest, but I did find some very cheap old children's books in the bargain basement.  They were in poor condition, but I just wanted them for the pages anyway.

I'm pretty sure librarians, all over the world have been put on medication to calm their nerves. And it's all because the craft people in blogland.  Every day I see tons of beautiful things that have been made out of old tomes. Wreaths, banners, purses, you get the picture.

Today I was going to start making Lindsey's wreath.  I sat down in front of the t.v. and got to work.  About a quarter of the way through I ran out of glue sticks, so I changed up.

I took the discarded hardcover jacket and made this.



Just a little journal to jot ideas down.  Maybe tape pictures in it of projects I want to do someday.


I cut some scrapbook paper and used Mod Podge to make new end papers.

 

For the blank pages, I took some of my daughter's drawing paper. I trimmed it a bit short but it still works for me.


 
Once finished, I noticed my binding machine had an instruction manual.  It has a guide of cover width to inner page size ratio.
Who knew that an instruction manual would be so handy?

You can bet I'm linking up to some of my favorite sites.  Check 'em out! ======================>

12 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I apparently need a binding machine for all the old books I always see but don't pick up because their covers are falling off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea. Thanks for linking up. :) Adding you to my blog list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks great. I'm always in need of another journal, thanks for the idea!
    Thanks for linking to Motivate me Monday!
    Kaysi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I always pick up old books at estate sales if they have interesting covers, but I don't really know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Thanks for linkin' up to Frugalicious Friday! I followed as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me chuckling imagining all of the stressed out librarians. I absolutely love the journal. Thanks for the link!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love that idea... now I just need a binding machine, LOL. Very cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Where did you get your binding machine! I think I need one.

    I'm hosting a party and would love to have you come over and participate!

    http://mybackyardeden.blogspot.com/2010/02/make-it-yours-day_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how it turned out! And now I am adding a binding machine to my wish list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea! So glad you linked up to Make it Yours day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That store sounds like a lil slice of heaven!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I double dog dare you!