Monday, February 8, 2010

Keep Calm

I love the posters with "Keep Calm and Carry On". That's the mantra I have been saying under my breath all week.

The flu bug has finally hit our little hive. Three down and one to go. The youngest has yet to be taken down. I think it's because the flu is afraid of my tiny terror. I know I am. :)

Anyway, I wound up in the ER with dehydration and a middle ear infection, so I didn't get much accomplished this week.

I did end up finishing one project inspired by Design-Aholic, a bulletin board for my new craft room.

I bought a 12x16 frame at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $10. It was banged up in the back, but you couldn't really tell by the front.


I covered a foam poster board with cork board since the cork was so thin.  The back of the frame did not have any hardware too keep it all in place, so I took soft mallet and hammered in some nails.
 

The next part was the most frustrating for me.  I know I wanted to use the "Keep Calm" graphic that I had downloaded from The Graphic's Fairy, but I had to figure out a way to get it on there.

Long story short, I used Picnik to invert the color and to make a mirror image.  Then I printed the graphic on transparency paper.  You know, the kind that they use for over head projectors?  Anyway, while the ink was still wet, I flipped it over onto the cork board.  The image was very light, so I used a black sharpie to fill it in.


 

I'm not exactly pleased with it.  I had many forces to over come. Kids, cats, vertigo and the likes all were getting in the way.  But, I'll live with it.

I also picked up crown thumbtacks that were on sale for $2 at the Lobby.  They were a weird rusty, bronzey color.  I spray painted them silver and used the black sharpie to hi-light the image.

 
They still are a but too shiny for me, so I'll tone them down when I get a second.  Thanks Amy for the great inspiration! And thanks to The Graphic's Fairy.  If you haven't checked out their sites.  Do it now!  After you leave me a comment of course. :)

I am now working on this.
 
That is one UGLY Drummer Boy.  I'll tell you a secret.... I was really embarrassed to buy this at the Thrift Store. It reminded me of buying my first box of feminine hygiene as a pre-teen. I felt as if people were staring at me the whole time. 

Have any of you every had the feeling of being judged for buying something you knew could be marvelous, but it was so butt ugly?  What was it?  Please tell me in the comments. I'd love to hear about it!

I'm linking up with all the usual suspects.










The Girl Creative

Making
 









Keeping It Simple


Creations by Kara


14 comments:

  1. I love it! I also love those crown pushpins! I wonder if Hobby Lobby has them online {since I don't have one locally}.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your memo board turned out great!! I love the pushpins too. I hope you and your family are feeling better soon. Thanks so much for linking this one up to "Brag Monday"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that saying, now if I could only "keep calm" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It looks fabulous! And what a great idea to add the foam board behind the cork. I've often thought of using the thin cork, but knew it would be too thin. I'll have to remember this trick! And the thumb tacks are perfect! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that saying on my blog as my new year's resolution, and I'm all about the crowns-- so I think your project is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to be one of the usual suspects! That is an adorable creation love the crown pins and design. Hope you are all feeling better. I always feel embarrassed picking up stuff for free off the side of the road-but some of my favorite furniture has come from there! :)
    Thanks for sharing and for linking back!
    -Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your frame and the saying is FABULOUS! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I am a new follower to you and I'm lovin' your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sign looks amazing! Great job! I'm still giggling about you buying that little drummer boy and feeling embarrassed. I kind of like it when people see me buying something butt ugly and think I have terrible taste. I act like I'm totally excited to have something really hideous. Ahhh...it's the simple things in life:) Thanks for the link! Come again, you're great!

    Andy
    Poppies at Play

    ReplyDelete
  9. Recently at the thrift store my husband and I bought a bunch of prints, some not so attractive, and two were the same print in different frames. The lady looked at me like I was nuts, but the reality? Those so pretty pics in those frames? I bought them because they're all ornate wood and plaster frames that are going to look amazing in my entry way area once they're painted and changed out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness - that is just so cute. I love Keep Calm and the push pins with it! So cool! Great way to do it too!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I'm off to see if I can attempt this! I love that poster image. I have a silver magnet board, and I think it would look really cool on that, even if it's just a transparency. The push pins are great too. Don't you just love Hobby Lobby? I just featured a simple project on my blog with their letters.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! And oh yes, I am embarrassed at the thrift store all the time. I'm sure the cashiers must think that I am either dirt poor or have horrible taste. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I double dog dare you!