Sunday, January 24, 2010

My first Show and Share!

I'm a fairly simple girl.  I wear jeans, sweatshirts and tennis shoes everyday without fail.  I don't really care about designer clothes or brand name things.  But, I tell ya, I love things that sparkle and shine.  I'm like a crow in that way.  I catch of glare or a glint and I swoop down and take it to my cache.

A few weeks ago, I was shopping at a Value Village. (Have you ever been to one?  I love them.  Their prices are great.) Buried under some dusty, old foliage, I found this little silver plated baby cup taped to a tiny silver plated saucer  There were some rust spots on the saucer, but it was only fifty cents for both pieces.



                 Please ignore the orange tabby and any cat hair or lint on the black drop cloth.


 I used a clear silicone caulk to glue the cup onto the saucer.  Just the regular old stuff that you use for your bathroom or kitchen.


After it was dry, I went and picked out a piece of fabric to make the top of the pin cushion.  Did I tell you I was making a pin cushion?  I didn't?  Sorry.

Hey!!  I'm gonna make a pin cushion!!!

I chose a piece of leftover toile that I had used in my daughter's nursery.  It's cream with pink nursery rhyme characters.  I just love it.




I cut a circle about the size of the saucer, then sewed a long running stitch around the edges of the fabric.  I gathered the fabric a bit then stuffed  it with what I had on hand. I wanted a poofy top, so I really packed it in.   After it was stuffed, I gathered it as much as I could and tied off the thread. 



Out comes the hot glue to stick that sucker into the cup.  I had to mess with it a bit to get it smooth and make sure the raw edges of the fabric weren't showing.

Although I like things simple,  I thought it looked a little too plain.   I tried to make fabric roses, but they ended up looking like wadded up fabric.  Not very pretty.






So I went with a wool felt rose and leaves.



I also cut a circle from a magnet sheet to put on the bottom to help gather up the extra pins and needles.



So that's it.

Want to see the final product?


 

 TAA DAA!!!

 The top part is actually tighter than it looks in this picture.  My camera skills are lacking, but I think it turned out pretty cute.

When I asked my husband what he thought about it, he said, "If I ever need to make a tea cup pincushion, you will be the first person I ask how to do it."

Bastard.

Anyway, my low craft esteem needs a boost.  Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think.

I'm linking this to Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphois Monday, and It's So Very Cheri.




7 comments:

  1. How sweet this pin cushion is. Wonderful job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pin cushion! And the rose is a perfect finishing touch. So sweet! Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute, especially the magnet on bottom! Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just darling - I never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It did turn out pretty cute! And a very good tutorial too! What a clever idea. Wouldn't this make a great Valentine gift for a friend?
    Love this!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a crafty idea and I LOVE the toile!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now how cute is that. Great tutorial as well.

    Just an FYI I have a give-a-way starting tonight.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I double dog dare you!